5 easy DIY summer cocktails
Credit: AJIITHA ANAND
Beach day with no ocean? How about a classic Blue Lagoon, with an orange slice to garnish.
Lemonade gets a tad repetitive. Why not mix things up a bit by adding strawberry to that ordinary drink? To make it even more tasty add sparkling water or vodka for the rough days.
300g (10oz) hulled strawberries
300g (10oz) caster sugar
Juice of 5 lemons
Still or sparkling mineral water to dilute or vodka
Sliced limes and strawberries, and sprigs of mint, to serve
1) Place the strawberries, caster sugar and lemon juice into a blender and blend until smooth.
2) Strain into a large bowl and stir completely to make sure the sugar dissolves.
3) Dilute with still or sparkling water, add ice, lime and strawberry slices with the mint. Add some vodka as a substitute for an alcoholic drink.
Sky Blue Feather
This is a cute, flirty drink with beautiful shades of pink. This drink is definitely summer weather certified.
50ml Gordon's gin
20ml fresh lemon
Lace of Myrtle liqueur
Blueberries to garnish
Mint to garnish
1) Shake the Gordon's gin, fresh lemon and sugar in a cocktail shaker.
2) Strain into a glass filled with crushed ice and add the myrtle liquor.
3) Add blueberries and mint followed by icing sugar.
If you want a super easy and quick but sweet recipe, try Orange Blossom.
50ml gin (we like Bombay Sapphire for this recipe)
100ml lemon tonic water (try Fever- Tree)
10ml orange blossom honey
1) First drizzle honey in the bottom of a tall glass before adding the gin.
2) Stir until it's fully mixed and add plenty of ice cubes to keep cool.
3) Top with lemon tonic water and stir to mix.
4) Lastly spritz orange peels over the top and the sides of the glass and around the ice to create a nice spiral effect.
Fruit Dino Drink with Jack Horner
The Jack Horner is a simple cinnamon, blackberry drink inspired by the infamous palaeontologist, Jack Horner.
15ml cinnamon syrup
50ml Belvedere vodka
20ml fresh lemon juice
Dash of egg white
Pinch of ground cinnamon, to garnish
1) Muddle blackberries in the base of a shaker with cinnamon syrup.
2) Add all ingredients except the cinnamon and shake to blend the egg white.
3) Add ice cubes, shake and strain into a glass.
4) Garnish with cinnamon.
Ginger Mojito Pitcher
Inspired by the show, House of Cards, a tasty jug of ginger and rum is an energizing solution to a hot day.
30 mint leaves
1 shot stem ginger syrup
1 750ml bottle of light rum
1 ginger ale
Juice and pulp of 8 limes
1) First things first—bruise mint leaves and place in a large jug.
2) Mix in syrup and lime and then add rum and ginger ale.
The easiest cocktail recipe, but also one of the prettiest is the Blue Lagoon.
30ml blue curacao liquor
1 orange slice
1) Pour vodka and the curacao over the ice in a glass and serve with a slice of orange to top.
Voila! That's it.
These easy and lovely looking DIY cocktails are recipes from House and Garden, check out their site houseandgarden.co.uk for more recipes this summer.